To inspire teachers of life cycle based quantitative sustainability assessment, the Academy is developing course plans and high-quality content, and runs pilot demonstrations of the developed courses
Below you can see a dynamic list of current course offerings and examples of course plans developed by the International Life Cycle Academy. Based on this this you can request similar courses. You can also request a tailor-made course for your organisation. For enquiries write to us at:
Current LCA courses
Advanced quantitative Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment – 3 pillars, 6 capitals, 17 SDGs
First course: March 28th– April 1st 2022 (full)
Second course: May 30th– June 3rd 2022 (full)
This course on Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA) uses hands-on exercises, constructing individual impact pathways organised around the exhaustive policy framework of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), from indicator definitions and data collection to calculation of impact factors and weighting.
Advanced LCA – Consequential and IO-based Life Cycle Assessment
April 20th– May 12th 2022 (Online and Physical)
This course aims at strengthening skills in life cycle inventory analysis. The course introduces advanced inventory modelling using the techniques of consequential LCA and input-output (IO) LCA.
Examples of course plans
- This course gives a thorough background for understanding both monetary and physical input-output models and gives an introduction to the most advanced and detailed hybrid IO-database: Exiobase v3
- This course start with the intro-course but then provides the practical skills for building and improving IO LCA databases. With hands-on exercises we construct detailed IO databases and discuss challenges and developments.
- An introduction to the technique of life cycle costing (LCC). The objective and scope of LCC are illustrated with case studies. Macroeconomic concepts with relevance for LCA. Externalities and their consistent treatment in LCA and Cost-Benefit Analysis.
- This course covers both the theory and practice of social LCA. It introduces the theory and background, the reasons for incorporating social impacts into life cycle assessment, as well as the difficulties related to their evaluation.
- An in-depth introduction to the technique of consequential Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) modelling via case studies of real life applications. The relation to the ISO standards for LCA. The challenges of completeness, consistency, uncertainty etc.
- This course is dedicated to the modelling of markets in LCA, with special focus on the assumptions adopted and the data required. It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course looks at effective and efficient ways to collect, store, retrieve and edit data for Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) Analysis. Benefits and limitations (e.g. uncertainty) of the different types of data are examined.
- This course is dedicated to the state-of-the-art modelling of agricultural systems that incur in indirect land-use changes (iLUC), which arise from increasing demand for agricultural products (particularly biofuels). It includes both lectures and exercises.
- The course will provide the background for understanding IO and hybrid modelling and how to build both monetary and physical input-output models, including trade-linking in multi-regional models.
- This course aims to strengthen practice of uncertainty assessment in Life Cycle Assessment. The course will provide the background for understanding the basic math of LCA-modeling, uncertainty propagation, correlations between variables and global sensitivity analysis.
- An introduction to the use of the Brightway2 Open Source LCA software with a particular focus on applying it to regionalised assessments. Matrix foundations of LCA plus regionalized activity datasets.
- This course gives an overview of the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies. The general framework, definitions and concepts will be presented from those of the ISO standards to the present state-of-the art. Practical exercises will focus on how to make appropriate choices when performing the LCIA phase in a study (choice...
- This course begins by giving an overview of the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies. The general framework, definitions and concepts will be presented from those of the ISO standards to the present state-of-the art. Practical exercises will focus on how to make appropriate choices when performing the LCIA phase in a...