To inspire teachers of life cycle based quantitative sustainability assessment, the Academy is developing course plans and high-quality content, and runs pilot demonstrations of the developed courses
Below you can see a dynamic list of current course offerings and examples of course plans developed by the International Life Cycle Academy. Based on this this you can request similar courses. You can also request a tailor-made course for your organisation. For enquiries write to us at:
Current LCA courses
IO and Hybrid Life Cycle Assessment – An Introduction for LCA Practitioners
October 26-27, 2020
This course gives a thorough background for understanding both monetary and physical input-output models, and how the quality of an IO-table depends on the way it is made. The course gives an introduction to the most advanced and detailed hybrid IO-database: Exiobase v3 – and how it is used in an LCA software.
Advanced IO and Hybrid Life Cycle Assessment – Constructing and Improving IO Databases in Hybrid Units
October 26-30, 2020
First part of this course is the above course content. The second part of the course provides the practical skills for building and improving IO LCA databases. The course uses hands-on exercises on the procedures for constructing IO databases in hybrid units and hybridising with more detailed data on physical and monetary flows. It also introduces to the current challenges and developments in IO modelling and social accounting.
Advanced LCA – Consequential and IO‑based life cycle assessment (FULL)
May 12-15 and 18-19, 2020
This course aims at strengthening skills in life cycle inventory analysis. The course introduces advanced inventory modelling using the techniques of consequential LCA and input-output (IO) LCA.
Examples of course plans
- An introduction to the technique of life cycle costing (LCC). The objective and scope of LCC are illustrated with case studies. Macroeconomic concepts with relevance for LCA. Externalities and their consistent treatment in LCA and Cost-Benefit Analysis.
- This course covers both the theory and practice of social LCA. It introduces the theory and background, the reasons for incorporating social impacts into life cycle assessment, as well as the difficulties related to their evaluation.
- An in-depth introduction to the technique of consequential Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) modelling via case studies of real life applications. The relation to the ISO standards for LCA. The challenges of completeness, consistency, uncertainty etc.
- This course is dedicated to the modelling of markets in LCA, with special focus on the assumptions adopted and the data required. It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course looks at effective and efficient ways to collect, store, retrieve and edit data for Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) Analysis. Benefits and limitations (e.g. uncertainty) of the different types of data are examined.
- This course is dedicated to the state-of-the-art modelling of agricultural systems that incur in indirect land-use changes (iLUC), which arise from increasing demand for agricultural products (particularly biofuels). It includes both lectures and exercises.
- The course will provide the background for understanding IO and hybrid modelling and how to build both monetary and physical input-output models, including trade-linking in multi-regional models.
- This course aims to strengthen practice of uncertainty assessment in Life Cycle Assessment. The course will provide the background for understanding the basic math of LCA-modeling, uncertainty propagation, correlations between variables and global sensitivity analysis.
- An introduction to the use of the Brightway2 Open Source LCA software with a particular focus on applying it to regionalised assessments. Matrix foundations of LCA plus regionalized activity datasets.
- This course gives an overview of the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies. The general framework, definitions and concepts will be presented from those of the ISO standards to the present state-of-the art. Practical exercises will focus on how to make appropriate choices when performing the LCIA phase in a study (choice...
- This course begins by giving an overview of the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies. The general framework, definitions and concepts will be presented from those of the ISO standards to the present state-of-the art. Practical exercises will focus on how to make appropriate choices when performing the LCIA phase in a...