To inspire teachers of life cycle based quantitative sustainability assessment, the Academy is developing course plans and high-quality content, and runs pilot demonstrations of the developed courses
Below you can see a dynamic list of course offerings and examples of course plans developed by the International Life Cycle Academy. Based on this this you can request similar courses. You can also request a tailor-made course for your organisation. For enquiries write to us at .
Current LCA courses
IO and hybrid Life Cycle Assessment January 22-24, 2018 (FULL)
This course gives a thorough introduction the most advanced and detailed hybrid IO-database: Exiobase v3 and the background for understanding and building both monetary and physical input-output models.
Practical uncertainty analysis in LCA March 12-14, 2018
This course aims to strengthen practice of uncertainty assessment in Life Cycle Assessment. The course provides a background for understanding the basic math of LCA-modeling, uncertainty propagation, correlations between variables and global sensitivity analysis.
Consequential and IO-based life cycle sustainability assessment
May 28-June 1, 2018
The course aims at strengthening skills in life cycle inventory analysis. The course introduces to advanced inventory modelling using the techniques of consequential LCA and input-output (IO) LCA.
Examples of course plans
- An introduction to the technique of life cycle costing (LCC). The objective and scope of LCC are illustrated with case studies. Macroeconomic concepts with relevance for LCA. Externalities and their consistent treatment in LCA and Cost-Benefit Analysis.
- This course covers both the theory and practice of social LCA. It introduces the theory and background, the reasons for incorporating social impacts into life cycle assessment, as well as the difficulties related to their evaluation.
- An in-depth introduction to the technique of consequential Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) modelling via case studies of real life applications. The relation to the ISO standards for LCA. The challenges of completeness, consistency, uncertainty etc.
- This course is dedicated to the modelling of markets in LCA, with special focus on the assumptions adopted and the data required. It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course looks at effective and efficient ways to collect, store, retrieve and edit data for Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) Analysis. Benefits and limitations (e.g. uncertainty) of the different types of data are examined.
- This course is dedicated to the state-of-the-art modelling of agricultural systems that incur in indirect land-use changes (iLUC), which arise from increasing demand for agricultural products (particularly biofuels). It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course gives the LCA practitioner the basic skills for navigating the LCIA (impact assessment) phase of LCA. The general framework, definitions and concepts are presented (ISO standards, state-of-the art, practical exercises).
- A deep dive into the modelling aspects involved in the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies to give the LCA practitioner advanced skills.