To inspire teachers of life cycle based quantitative sustainability assessment, the Academy is developing course plans and high-quality content, and runs pilot demonstrations of the developed courses.
Below you can see a dynamic list of current course offerings and below that examples of course plans developed by the International Life Cycle Academy. Based on this you can request to join similar courses via a waitlist. You can also request a tailor-made course for your organisation. Courses are updated for each edition, and therefore we do not have ‘standard’ prices listed. For enquiries write to us at:
Current LCA courses
From LCC to LCSA – The whole journey in one week
February 20th – 24th 2023
This week long course is about Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA) = Life Cycle Costing (LCC) + Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) in its most comprehensive form, including economic, social, and ecosystem impacts.
Spatiotemporal life cycle assessment with Brightway
April 24th – 28th 2023
Practical application of spatially- and temporally-dependent life cycle assessment (LCA) using the open source Brightway software framework.
Examples of course plans
- This course gives a thorough background for understanding both monetary and physical input-output models, and how the quality of an IO-table depends on the way it is made. The course gives an introduction to the most advanced and detailed hybrid IO-database: Exiobase v4 hybrid version – and how it is used for LCA studies
- An introduction to the use of the Brightway 2.5 Open Source LCA software with a particular focus on applying it to regionalised assessments. The matrix foundations of LCA, their adaptation for different types of regionalisation, and its use for uncertainty analysis.
- This course aims at strengthening skills in life cycle inventory analysis. The course introduces advanced inventory modelling using the techniques of consequential LCA and input-output (IO) LCA.
- This course gives a thorough background for understanding both monetary and physical input-output models and gives an introduction to the most advanced and detailed hybrid IO-database: Exiobase v3
- This course start with the intro-course but then provides the practical skills for building and improving IO LCA databases. With hands-on exercises we construct detailed IO databases and discuss challenges and developments.
- An in-depth introduction to the technique of consequential Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) modelling via case studies of real life applications. The relation to the ISO standards for LCA. The challenges of completeness, consistency, uncertainty etc.
- This course is dedicated to the modelling of markets in LCA, with special focus on the assumptions adopted and the data required. It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course looks at effective and efficient ways to collect, store, retrieve and edit data for Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) Analysis. Benefits and limitations (e.g. uncertainty) of the different types of data are examined.
- This course is dedicated to the state-of-the-art modelling of agricultural systems that incur in indirect land-use changes (iLUC), which arise from increasing demand for agricultural products (particularly biofuels). It includes both lectures and exercises.
- This course aims to strengthen practice of uncertainty assessment in Life Cycle Assessment. The course will provide the background for understanding the basic math of LCA-modeling, uncertainty propagation, correlations between variables and global sensitivity analysis.
- This course begins by giving an overview of the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies. The second half of the course presents a deep dive into the modelling aspects involved in the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) phase of LCA studies.